St. Vincent de Paul-Detroit… Michigan Energy Grant!


St. Vincent de Paul just received a very large Michigan Energy Grant Award.
They anticipate they will be out of money by early January.  Eligibility requirements and documents needed from applicants seeking energy assistance:


Eligibility requirements:

  1. Total household income must be at or below 150% of poverty level (see table below).
  2. Total owing on bill cannot exceed $3500 for a combined gas/electric account or $2000 for a single utility. Our maximum payment is $3000 for a combined account or $1500 for a single utility and could be less if you have already received assistance from another agency.
  3. If you are enrolled in any of these programs: LSP with DTE, CARE with Consumers Energy or MAP with SEMCO you are not eligible.
  4. The applicant must reside in the household and be at least 18 years of age.
  5. The applicant must have paid $450 in the past 6 months if a combined gas/electric account or $225 in the past 6 months if a single utility account or $225 in the past 12 months if propane/heating oil.

2014 Federal Poverty Guidelines

Poverty<br /><br />

For households greater than 8 add $507.50/mo or $6090/yr for each additional member

The following documents are needed when applying for energy assistance: 

  1. The applicant must provide a copy of their Social Security card.
  2. The applicant must provide proof of identity. Copy of document used to verify identity – MI driver’s license, State ID, School ID, Employment ID or US passport.
  3. The applicant must provide proof of residency. Copy of document used to verify residency – examples are MI driver’s license or State ID with current address on front or back, current utility bill, lease/mortgage statement.
  4. The applicant must provide proof of income for all members of the household who have income. Statements must be current – paystubs within the last 60 days, other documents within the calendar year.  If paid in cash must provide letters from people paying you stating how much you receive on a monthly basis.
  5. If no income, bring copy of DHS letter showing benefits currently being received (if applicable) – i.e. food stamps, Medicaid, SER. If not available, you will be asked to sign a self-declaration form stating you have no income.
  6. Copy of most recent utility bill in the applicant’s name. If requesting a propane or heating oil delivery must have copy of recent quote from fuel provider. Please note that in order to be eligible for propane or heating oil assistance your tank must be less than 25% full.
  7. Copy of DHS decision notice for SER – if applicable but not required

Application is to be completed by the person whose name is on the bill (the applicant).

The applicant must be present at the appointment when applying for energy assistance.

Clients needing energy assistance in these six counties – Wayne, Macomb, Oakland, Monroe, St. Clair and Lapeer,  call our Help Line number: 313 393 2930 or our Toll Free number: 1-877-ST VINCE (1-877-788-4623). Follow the prompts, key in your zip code which will get you to the closest St. Vincent de Paul location, leave a voice message and our volunteers will call you back.